I saw so many planners out there, many different brands (and prices) and I never understood them. I had my cell phone with me most of the time, I had appointments in my calendar and reminders for important dates like birthdays and our wedding anniversary. I would even type in reminders to myself (like a meeting invite) to recall plans. My cell was also more portable than the paper planners. I just did not understand it all! There were even tons of Etsy sites dedicated to just sell planning stickers and accessories!
Then I bought one…and was hooked!
What changed my mind?
- My professional work life and personal life blended lines before. I worked on the same media at home that I did for work. Cell phone usage and digital everything. I found that having a paper planner allowed me to use the other half of my brain in many ways. It felt more creative with usage of colored pens and some stickers.
- Without realizing it, my planner turned into a diary. It showed important dates and what we did to celebrate, travel details, exercise accomplishments, etc. It is fun to look at past months.
- I was actually able to enjoy planning ahead and brainstorming what I needed to do next. It was easier to plan out tasks for future weeks and months when I flipped through pages instead of digital scrolling on a cell phone.
- Writing down a date/time to exercise made me feel more accountable to get it done. Because if I did skip it, I would need to cross it out and write why.
- Nothing is better than being able to check off a task and mark it complete. SUCH JOY!
I will get into details about how I use my planner in later posts. It has helped me in many ways to stay organized.