I like the garlic flavors in this dish. Also, there are not many things I make with cabbage so it is a nice variety. You could always add in some seasoned cooked ground meat or pre-cooked sausage to this dish as well. If you wanted to make it a little more hardy, you can add in some rice to this mixture. When serving this dish, I like to add some feta cheese on top since it has a nice salty flavor.
Have fun cooking!
- Vegetables =
- Red Potatoes
- Mushrooms (baby bells aka small portobellos)
- 1 TBSP Cumin
- Minced Garlic (I use about 4 cloves)
- Fresh Parsley
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Vegetable Broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Shred cabbage and set aside.
- One pot to steam hard veggies = Chop up the carrots and red potatoes into bite sized pieces and steam them to make sure they are not so crunchy. (I use the All-Clad 3 quart steamer)
- One pan to saute other veggies =
- Add a little olive oil to the bottom of the pan to soften the onion and mushrooms.
- After they are a little soft, lower the temperature and season with cumin, minced garlic and fresh parsley. (The lower temp is to not burn the garlic.)
- Glass baking dish to combine everything together =
- Pour in enough vegetable broth to cover the base of the dish. This allows the veggies not to burn while baking.
- Layer in the vegetables – cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onions and mushrooms.
- Top with a little garlic powder and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with parchment paper and then with aluminum foil (I do not like the metal touching the food while baking so I use the sheet of parchment paper as a barrier).
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.