I found that a great way to make sure that we get enough veggies in our diet per week is to prep a large salad each Sunday.
At first I was just making a salad and storing all of ingredients together in a large glass bowl with a cover. I found that the salad got soggy and would not last the whole week.
I found that keeping the ingredients separate from the lettuce works the best to maintain freshness for the entire week.
Here are the steps I take for my salad prep…
- Purchase organic veggies which includes loose lettuce instead of the pre-made bags.
- Thoroughly clean the vegetables with a Fruit & Veggie Spray ; making sure to rinse well.
- Dry lettuce as much as possible with a Salad Spinner.
- I use a produce keeper to store the lettuce. My preference is the OXO brand container with carbon filters that should be replaced every 3 months.
- The rest of the items like tomatoes and cucumbers I store in glass tupperware.